Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Interviewing Coders

Promo: Code Books
    I agree with simonewill7!

KEEPEN IT REAL!!!!!!

May God have mercy on us!
    Last edited by 007CPC; 04-04-2008 at 09:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rthames052006 View Post
    I couldn't agree with you more, can I get a AMEN!!!!
    AMEN!! Everyone needs experience so someone has to be willing to give it to them!! Just because you think you don't "have time" to train a new coder - but you could be missing out on one heck of a fantastic employee!!! You just never know!

Exclamation Keepen It Real

This thread deserves 5 starts solely because of what simonewill7 said.

Every hiring manager in the industry should take that person's comment into account!

R-E-S-P-E-C-T -----Giving each other space (Quote: Deborah Grider NAB President of the AAPC)
    Last edited by 007CPC; 04-05-2008 at 01:19 AM.

I worked for years for a physician that would not pay for anything as it "benefited me" not him, even though he was very encouraging. Right!!!

Then I moved and worked for a small group that paid for my exam, membership, etc. Three months after getting cerified I resigned and left.

I felt bad a bit, but not really, and they said don't worry about it.

I reduced their A/R major substantially while I was there, taught them to code/bill much much better and they were making a lot more money. So, I feel, and they felt, they more than got the cost of what they spent for me to get certified.

Just my two cents!

Default Interview Questions

Any thoughts on Good "tell the tale" interview questions for coders? I start interviewing tomorrow and really want to analyze, through my interview questions, the candidates coding skills/abilities.

Talking Interviewing Prospective Employees....

One this I have learned in the past few years is many people cannot read or cannot do basic math.

In our office I was so tired of misfiled charts that I began to give prospective employees spelling tests. I also give prospective employees a basic math, insurance terminology quiz and basic EOB test. The sad thing is, most people cannot spell nor can they do basic math, I even had a CPC that could not calculate patient responsibility on a basic EOB nor could they tell me what an allowable amount was.

You will learn alot by giving these tests.

Default That is very true

Did you coders know that half the people in the world are still illiterate? I use to see the same thing at the last entity I worked at, but I think errors happen at some companies because of the low wages; hence leading to betrayal and lazy errors. Bad arithmetic vs. not being able to add or count, I don’t think a person who is competent enough to get their CPC wouldn’t be able to add or count; I think that is an exaggeration and a low blow to the AAPC. That person probably just needed a calculator-( read Coding edge issue April: Deborah Grider's article: "RESPECT" and see if you interviewers can comprehend the underlying message). I had the same problem at my last employer.
    People are morons because their taught by morons. You don't need to render paper test to coders.... The PERSON GIVING the INTERVIEW should be COMPETENT enough in dialogue with an interviewee to identify weather that person being interviewed has the qualifications for that position. Don't embarrass a person by saying, "you failed": what is the purpose and what are you going to do with that ideology besides boost your own ego.

If an interviewer cannot properly ingage with basic psychological assessment to determine a persons intellectual capacity: YOU ARE NOT QUALIFIED to RENDER an INTERVIEW.

Coders need to loose the narcissism

You know what the religious people say: they who judges will be judged ( I am not a religious person)
    Last edited by 007CPC; 07-09-2008 at 07:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by neuropathy View Post
    Did you coders know that half the people in the world are still illiterate? I use to see the same thing at the last entity I worked at, but I think errors happen at some companies because of the low wages; hence leading to betrayal and lazy errors. Bad arithmetic vs. not being able to add or count, I don’t think a person who is competent enough to get their CPC wouldn’t be able to add or count; I think that is an exaggeration and a low blow to the AAPC. That person probably just needed a calculator-( read Coding edge issue April: Deborah Grider's article: "RESPECT" and see if you interviewers can comprehend the underlying message). I had the same problem at my last employer.
    People are morons because their taught by morons. You don't need to render paper test to coders.... The PERSON GIVING the INTERVIEW should be COMPETENT enough in diaglogue with an interviewee to identify weather that person being interviewed has the qualifications for that position. Don't embarrass a person by saying, "you failed": what is the purpose and what are you going to do with that ideology besides boost your own ego.

If an interviewer cannot properly ingage with basic psychological assessment to determine a persons intellectual capacity: YOU ARE NOT QUALIFIED to RENDER an INTERVIEW.

Coders need to loose the narcissism

You know what the religious people say: they who judges will be judged ( I am not a religious person)
    Oh Neuropathy...

After chuckling a lil bit after reading your first paragraph I realized what you were responding to.

Your comment about people being morons because they are taught by morons I don't completely agree with, if your being taught by a moron and you have any common sense you will verify what people are telling/teaching you... that's like saying you believe everything you hear.. I sure don't.

In an employers defense and from what I have seen with my own eyes... there are some people out there who can "go with the flow" but once you put them on their own they are lost in the sauce... not to say we are all like that but some people "fall thru the cracks" so to speak...

Someone could apply for a coding position for the radiology dept who has never coded any type of radiology services, this is not to say that they couldn't muddle their way thru it but wouldn't you pick the candidate who shows the experience in radiology over someone who doesn't... I am not knocking anyone but for example myself personally I have been employed by an Internal Med practice for just about 11 years now, I don't do and haven't done any kind of radiology coding in my life.... except what was on the cpc exam 3 years ago. ... I am a firm believer in if "you don't use it you lose it"

I recently was told about a position in an office who needs help with billing, the staff they currently have is not really knowledgable in billng because the a/r is out of control, or should I say the insurance a/r is out of control no payments coming in and no one knows why... because no one is working that a/r to find out what is going on they are getting these eob's in and the "billing people" don't know how to read the eobs or don't know how to pick up the telephone and call if they don't understand an eob... Yes it could be that the people are lazy too....
    Last edited by rthames052006; 04-16-2008 at 09:20 PM.
    Roxanne Thames CPC, CPC-I, CEMC
    rthamescpci@gmail.com

"Remember the greatest gift is not found in the store but in the heart of true friends"

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by rthames052006 View Post
    Oh Neuropathy...

After chuckling a lil bit after reading your first paragraph I realized what you were responding to.

Your comment about people being morons because they are taught by morons I don't completely agree with, if your being taught by a moron and you have any common sense you will verify what people are telling/teaching you... that's like saying you believe everything you hear.. I sure don't.

In an employers defense and from what I have seen with my own eyes... there are some people out there who can "go with the flow" but once you put them on their own they are lost in the sauce... not to say we are all like that but some people "fall thru the cracks" so to speak...

Someone could apply for a coding position for the radiology dept who has never coded any type of radiology services, this is not to say that they couldn't muddle their way thru it but wouldn't you pick the candidate who shows the experience in radiology over someone who doesn't... I am not knocking anyone but for example myself personally I have been employed by an Internal Med practice for just about 11 years now, I don't do and haven't done any kind of radiology coding in my life.... except what was on the cpc exam 3 years ago. ... I am a firm believer in if "you don't use it you lose it"

I recently was told about a position in an office who needs help with billing, the staff they currently have is not really knowledgable in billng because the a/r is out of control, or should I say the insurance a/r is out of control no payments coming in and no one knows why... because no one is working that a/r to find out what is going on they are getting these eob's in and the "billing people" don't know how to read the eobs or don't know how to pick up the telephone and call if they don't understand an eob... Yes it could be that the people are lazy too....

Thank you for saving me rthames052006

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12