Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Inexpensive Training for ICD-10

Default ICD-10 and Anatomy
    Medical Coding Books
    I took a class using the Language of Medicine by Chabner (3 yrs ago). It's on Amazon. But with ICD-10. I've been an Encoder user for a while and you really need to better know your Anantomy and disease processes. I plan to take two college courses to help me with this because I feel like I need the higher level of knowledge for this upcoming change. And I think i'll look for some coloring charts! Those would be fun
    KL
    CCS, RHIT, CPC, CMBS

Default Ingenix ICD-10-CM/PCS Training set
    Got this training set from Ingenix the other day and starting looking through it. Ingenix left no stone unturned. This books sets the jazz if you want to learn ICD-10 by yourself or share with a buddy and study group. Me and a couple of friends are starting to get together to do this. The training set costs about $60 I think. Split the cost if you can.

ISBN-13-978-14354-8158-9
    ISBN-10: 1-4343-8158-5

Understanding ICD-10-CM/PCS
    A Worktext
    Mary Jo Bowie, MS, RHIA, RHIT
    Regina Schaffer, AAS, RHIA, CPC

Call 1.800.INGENIX (464.3649)

It is on Amazon now
    Last edited by KellyLR; 06-22-2010 at 07:07 PM. Reason: price change
    KL
    CCS, RHIT, CPC, CMBS

3. Default Thanks!
    KellyLR,

Thanks for the workbook recomendation! My co-worker and I looked it over today and I'm ordering it tonight! We are also looking into auditing a class in anatomy and physiology (hopefully we won't have to pay for it that way) but we were also wondering if we would need to be refreshed in medical terminology. Does anyone know about this?

Default Audit Classes
    Well, I've thought of that too but at the college level, they are not free. I decided I wanted to get on the level of a nurses education not necessarily to take the whole curriculum, but most colleges want you to apply to their program, etc. I'm still researching the best way to get a higher understanding of the body. There are students who come into where I am sometimes and they go to Nursing at CSULB. I'll check with their books but they are probably Nessler's so that is great choice. I'm checking into a college but since i already have a degree, I'm not sure I want to take another curriculum.

Good Luck with that book from Ingenix, I opened it up and it seemed to cover a lot of anatomy and comes with a CD too.

About Medical Terminology, it wouldn't hurt to take a refresher class, one would be surprised at how much they forget from the 1st time! I use the Language of Medicine by Chabner (has CD), and I sit down sometimes and go through it, and Medical Billing Made Easy I think it's called. I'll check, reviewing HIPAA and CMS stuff on their site helps too and you can get CEUs that way as well.
    Last edited by KellyLR; 06-24-2010 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Add info
    KL
    CCS, RHIT, CPC, CMBS

5. Default
    Thanks for the info Kelly, but can you give more specific info as to where on the CMS and AMA websites that you found the book written by Deborah Grider?
    Thanks

6. Default
    Thank You!!!

Arrow Deborah Grider and AMA
    Ms. Grider is now on board here at AAPC. She authors workshops around the country and I have already taken one she authored that was great. Although she personally doesn't facilitate the workshop, there are assigned facilitators I believe who are trained by the AAPC to deliver the content of her workshops. The one I went to was in LA and Corrie Alvarez was the facilitator. She was awesome and added upon the knowledge of the workshop from her experience which complimented the workshop content. Just check out the workshops here at the AAPC.

Now, on her books from AMA. The one I use is the Second Edition of the Medical Record Auditor from AMA. I also use the AMA Coding with Modifiers, Second Edition by Grider as well. She really discusses and uses application examples that are very relevant when one needs to understand modifiers. She goes through EVERY modifer and its use extensively in this book. Both books come with a CD with EVERYTHING including answers on it. I find it of great use whenever I don't have the book with me but I'm sitting somewhere with my laptop, I review the CD content to keep fresh. www.ama-assn.org has a dowbloadable coding catalog.

Preparing for ICD-10-CM: Make the Transition Manageable by Deborah Grider
    Softbound, 81/2" x 11", 300 pages
    Item#: OP602608
    List Price: $72.95
    AMA Member Price: $54.95

Netter's Atlas of Human Anatomy for CPT® Coding, second edition
    Softbound 81/2" x 11", 680 pages
    ISBN#: 978-1-60359-109-6
    Item#: OP490609
    Authors: Celeste G. Kirschner
    List Price: $94.95
    AMA Member Price: $71.95

Another respectable source is Faye Brown's ICD-9-CM Coding Workbook. I believe you can get it from Amazon.

The CMS website: one has to develop skill to be able to navigate this big bad boy! I've spent countless hours downloading needed material which I have organized. But I only keep up with up to date stuff, so most of what I have is 2010 or latest effective year. If anyone has trouble finding stuff, maybe I can point u in the right direction, but it will be far better if you try to navigate it for yourself. There is CEUs you can acquire for free that are submittable to AAPC and many other organizations, go to www.cms.gov then type in MLN Products or you can locate it under Top Ten list on the right side of page and it will take you to the Medicare Learning Network and on the left select Web Base Training, register and you are set to go!

I have gotten picky about what books and what training I submit myself to because this field is expensive if your company doesn't pay for the training, etc. I've always been a self-educated person and I research stuff alot and observe alot as well before I dive into something. Sure I have made costly mistakes but by now I've gotten a decent idea of what I want when it comes to relevant, working knowledge and $$. I feel that wise choices eventually deposits $$ in the bankbooks!

Good Luck and Best Regards,
    Last edited by KellyLR; 06-24-2010 at 05:29 PM. Reason: grammar
    KL
    CCS, RHIT, CPC, CMBS

8. Default
    Thanks KellyLR! Great info for upcoming I-10. I, like you, have to self-educate and am looking for a workbook w/answers for all types of CPT scenarios. I work in an Ophthal. office and I want to brush up on all other specialites of coding and thought a nice workbook to go through over the summer may be just the ticket. I just go t burned by one - that is a great book- but no answers! If you have any suggestions, please post them!
    Last edited by miller54913; 06-25-2010 at 03:35 PM. Reason: spelling

Default A suggestion for brushing up
    I, like you, work in Ophthal among other stuff. What I started doing to keep current for every other specialty is this: I will review and rework the AAPC Guide and Online Pratice exams. They cover most stuff. Although it gets old doing that, I just wait a few months or so so that it seems fresh to me. I also make notes in my ICD-9 and CPTs for those "sticky" scenarios and how to code them corrctly. Another thing I have done is reference the ICD-9 to the tabular section and reference the tabular to the guidelines. I use the page numbers in the guidelines rather than section I,C,1,a, etc. to write into the tabular. E.g., Sever sepsis 995.9X, I would write what pg number in the guidelines it references to and write the page number somewhere near the code and maybe include any important small notes there as well. I realize this is nuts, but it seems to work for me, because I would hardly go to the guidelines. I also would write that code out to the side in the guidelines so I can locate it quickly. I try to review the guidelines at least once every 3 months in its entirety.

I realized this was better for me because I don't like spending money on stuff that will just accumulate around the house or stack up in the back of my truck.

Best Regards,
    KL
    CCS, RHIT, CPC, CMBS

Default ICD-10 training
    I have been trained by AHIMA to teach ICD-10-CM and PCS. The additional "anatomy training," in my opinion, is not necessary for CM and only partially necessary for PCS. (PCS is for inpatient coders only) There is additioanl detail needed in PCS mainly for anatomy & coding. However, there are back of book refernces that will help coders. I don't think anatomy classes are needed. I think that "training yourself" is a little extreme, but not everyone needs a monster boot camp or can afford one. Affordable online ICD-10 CEU's available at www.ACodreReview.com
    Becky Stephenson, RN, CPC, CPC-H
    President/CEO VersaClaim, Inc.
    Becky@VersaClaim.com
    www.ACodersReview.com
    www.VersaClaim.com
    Austin, Texas
    512-394-0008

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast