AAPC - Back to school
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Inexpensive Training for ICD-10

AAPC: Back to School
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan View Post
    From what I have heard, AHIMA is now requiring an additional 12 CEU's for ICD-10 in addition to paying 25.00 a year to take an on-line test to keep credentials, plus membership and their training is much more expensive. You pay 185.00 per year for membership on top of that. You do not have to take a boot camp, it is not mandated. But obviously we need a way to learn this new code set. Many local chapters have been hosting I10 trainings for free (the AAPC has been sending instructors to local chapters for several months now at no charge to the chapters), they have 3 free webinars online, the free Coding Translator tool to help us mitigate the changes and a free tracking tool for I10 implementation compliance.

There are many ways we can get free CEU's. Our budgets get cut every year for sure, but if we go to Local Chapter meetings, do the Coding Edge and Edge Blast quizzes we can get our CEU's very low cost as well.
    Thanks for the info Susan. Would you mind posting a link to the free online Webinars?. I went on the site, and was only able to find one at cost.

Thanks for your help.

Default Training

I think there are more options for self study for ICD-10-CM than ICD-10-PCS. PCS is more difficult in my opinion. Right now, I think all of the above are good resources. Check the AAPC vendor list for cost efficient solutions
    Becky Stephenson, RN, CPC, CPC-H
    President/CEO VersaClaim, Inc.
    Austin, Texas

Where might one find these anatomy coloring books?

Columbia, MO

Barnes and Noble, or Amazon have them.

Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H

Default Question about ICD-10 approved by AHIMA????

I went to the site and clicked on ICD-10. www.ACodersReview.com. It states that it has been approved by the AAPC. I am a member of both AAPC and AHIMA. Has the ICD-10 online training been approved by AHIMA as well? I am having trouble finding inexpensive training to meet the 12 ceu's for ICD-10 required by AHIMA. My certification period end on 12/31/2011. I work for a solo practice with the doctor and medical assistant and myself. I would have a hard time trying to attend a boot camp because of the cost and being unable to be away from the office for 2 days. I looked on the AHIMA site and they have online training for $160.00 per course for 4 ceu's per course.

Please let me know if you have any other suggestions.

Last edited by weezie68; 02-19-2011 at 03:04 PM.

What a great idea. Do you have the name of one you like that you recomend?

Default ICD-10 getting started - FREE

See website "codepedia". Nancy McGuire is giving free courses on ICD-10. You can take the sessions as you can and review at any time. Again, its a way to get it going now and not cost you at this point. Try it. She is very good at what she does.

Default icd-10

Has anyone seen the course on ICD-10 on the World Health Organization? I just finished the first chapter and started the Neoplasm chapter. Ann

Default Coder/Educator

You might want to check with your local Community or Technology College to see if they are going to offer ICD-10 training, Our Techology school in town, is planning to offer training for
    ICD 10 beginning next year, at a very reasonable cost. And yes, anatomy knowledge will be very important, buying a used Anatomy textbook and doing a self study would be benificial.

Urbana Illinois

Default inexpensive training for ICD-10-CM.

Hi everyone,

I have done alot of learning and practicing on A & P in my spare time, I too have a coloring book which helps greatly it is the Anatomy Coloring Book, 3rd Edition, BY Kaplan Medical, their illustrations are great. I have also added: Barron's Anatomy Flash Cards which my husband helps quiz me on all the systems, when I am ready he holds up the cards and ask me to name the parts, if I am stumped and cannot recall the body part, area, system etc., he puts that card aside and I learn it again, I am 51 yrs of age and the retention can be a little tricky for me to remember but like anything with time in you can/will retain it and be the better for it, along with the flash cards I have Netter's Atlas of Human Anatomy for cpt coding, by AMA, which I would hightly recommend as another wonderful resource to grasp the complexities of Anatomy.

I sat for and passed my CPC back in 2009, however, still now using my credentials and looking for work, so with my time and my own monies I have no choice but to teach/learn all areas on my own, the A & P, the ICD-10-CM. I have to start now due to the fact I am not around other coders except through list servs and my local chapter meetings and online wherever I can pick up info on all the above mentioned issues.

I would recommend to those of you who are in need of additional materials for learning and grasping a more detailed understanding on A & P try online free resouces of which I have a few, and if you purchase Barron's Anatomy flash cards, you will receive a unique code that will grant you access to their online site that will allow you to view all 264 full-color cards electronically and you can click to flip each card over to reveal the names of their corresponding images, this is a great way to have a study partner so to speak if you are not as fortunate as myself to have a husband who is willing to take time from his day to assist me in learning the body parts/systems of which I am VERY GRATEFUL!

Just trying to offer up some alternatives to an other wise costly outcome. I hope to some day be able to work as a coder, I am very passionate about the field of coding and will not allow my lack of on the job experience due to not finding work as of yet in coding/billing or no access to a classroom environment or working one on one around other coders or now the threat of losing my hard earned credentials if I cannot transition over to ICD-10-CM keep me from achieving a long time dream of mine to be amongst some of the best coders in the world, just need the right opportunity to come along and present itself to me, so hang in there we all are facing a hurdle one way or the other, it is worth it and will continue to be worth it.

Thanks for allowing me to share on this topic,

Eleanora Reeves CPC-A

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast