Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Inexpensive Training for ICD-10

Medical Coding Books
    Amen!!!!!

Margie I heard the same sediment through out the Regional Conference last week a lot of them were first timers, What an Impression. It seems like what ever comes along that Mr. Pew can make money off of he jumps at the chance. It would have been nice if this time the AAPC did it for free. But I guess having to go and spend time in Washington DC is more important than helping out the members every now and then, knowing how the economy is today!

I'd like to comment that I think some people are stressing out about ICD-10. Yes, it will be major changes. However, there are resources out there that are free or inexpensive. The World Health Organization has a great set of modules that are free, I have worked thru them and found them to be really helpful. Also, CMS has a multitude of CEU opportunities now, again free, AND they prepare you more for ICD-10. It is a major change, but it you look around, you can find resources now to help you. Not everyone has to spend $1000 plus at this time. There are also anatomy course pertaining to each specialty, so if you dont need everything, just purchase the one or two modules you need. I'm not down playing it, but think about what your specific needs are at your practice/facility, look around and decide the best course of action for you. You don't necessarily need to "know it all." I personally think the proficiency exam on AAPC's behalf is a great idea. I proved I know ICD-9 coding in my CPC exam, not ICD-10!

And by the way, when a new technology comes about, physicians often times are REQUIRED to take a training course on that procedure before they can perform the surgery, either required by the facility they will be performing the procedure, or by the manufacturer to know that the physician can effectively perform that procedure.

Best of luck to you all!
    Machelle Morningstar, CPC, COC, CEMC, COSC
    AHIMA Approved ICD-10-CM/PCS Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by mmorningstarcpc View Post
    I'd like to comment that I think some people are stressing out about ICD-10. Yes, it will be major changes. However, there are resources out there that are free or inexpensive. The World Health Organization has a great set of modules that are free, I have worked thru them and found them to be really helpful. Also, CMS has a multitude of CEU opportunities now, again free, AND they prepare you more for ICD-10. It is a major change, but it you look around, you can find resources now to help you. Not everyone has to spend $1000 plus at this time. There are also anatomy course pertaining to each specialty, so if you dont need everything, just purchase the one or two modules you need. I'm not down playing it, but think about what your specific needs are at your practice/facility, look around and decide the best course of action for you. You don't necessarily need to "know it all." I personally think the proficiency exam on AAPC's behalf is a great idea. I proved I know ICD-9 coding in my CPC exam, not ICD-10!

And by the way, when a new technology comes about, physicians often times are REQUIRED to take a training course on that procedure before they can perform the surgery, either required by the facility they will be performing the procedure, or by the manufacturer to know that the physician can effectively perform that procedure.

Best of luck to you all!
    Very well stated Machelle. I am one of those coders who would purchase the anatomy course pertaining to my speciality at this point. I have read a few articles/books pertaining to I-10 but I am not actively going or doing any training at this point. I figure I'd start "diving" into it alot more next year.

I am one who is actually looking forward to the I-10 proficiency exam 1. Because we all as coders will need to accurately report our physician's diagnosis codes and 2. I will want to be looked at as a coder as being "Proficient" in what I do on a daily basis.

It will be new to all of us, utilizing I-10 and as with our coding careers we all started off not know a whole lot and after getting/having experience I'd say we all have come a long way with being proficient in our specialities....
    Roxanne Thames CPC, CPC-I, CEMC
    rthamescpci@gmail.com

"Remember the greatest gift is not found in the store but in the heart of true friends"

4. Default
    I agree I do not think it is fair thatwe have to retest as we have already earned the certificate. AAPC needes to rethink this or we will be losing many many coders. ICD10 has become a burden to coders that do not have a organization that is willing to pay for education expenses.

5. Default
    I too am have this problem! I work for a single physician who provides no help with the cost of training. If anyone has found any training for updates for 2015 or ICD-10 that is cheap or free please let me know! Thanks

ICD-10 CM is not hard. But anything you obtain from the WHO pertains to ICD-10 not ICD-10 CM. These are different code sets with different rules. This is why people have become confused. If you have read the guidelines formICD-9 CM, then you are familiar already with the guidelines for ICD-10 CM. They are not that different. There are only a few places where the rules changed due to how a section of codes was retooled, such as diabetes. The biggest change is the structure of the codes , going tom7 characters, all codes alpha numerical, excludes 1 and excludes 2 instead of excludes, and placeholder x, and laterality specific codes. But none of this is difficult to grasp. If you just study the guidelines and the notes and conventions in the codebook you will know everything you need about ICD-10 CM. We are not changing to a new coding system, just a new set of codes.

Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H

7. Default
    Quote Originally Posted by sbarton View Post
    I too am have this problem! I work for a single physician who provides no help with the cost of training. If anyone has found any training for updates for 2015 or ICD-10 that is cheap or free please let me know! Thanks
    In this website the training is a lot more affordable than most websites I've seen. I did the Review Blitz with them and it helped me pass the first time. I'm planning on doing the training myself.

http://bit.ly/ICD10-TRAINING
    http://bit.ly/Main-Website

8. Default
    You can go and sign up on Codapedia.com. They have modules for each section of the ICD10 and it is free

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234