AAPC - Back to school
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Inexpensive Training for ICD-10

Default Inexpensive Training for ICD-10

AAPC: Back to School
    I see all of these upcoming programs for the ICD-10 training, and they seem to involve a considerable expense for training. What about certified coders who want to keep their certification, but do not have an office who is willing to reimburse the employee for those $1200 to $1500.00 fees for classes, boot camp, etc. I know I certainly can't personally afford those kind of fees to receive the adequate training that I would need to pass another certification test. Do you have any suggestions?

WHills, CA

Smile Inexpensive ICD-10-CM

I found this today on the Ingenix website:

Last edited by KellyLR; 03-08-2010 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Trying to be helpful without violating rules

Question Icd 10 training burden to coders?

I agree with you medicalsec. I was just debating this with some co-workers who have AHIMA credentials. I believe that if the training fee and the testing fee are burdensome ($1,200???!!!), some coders may jump the fence to AHIMA. I believe that a coder has to be knowledgeable about ICD-10, but I do not believe that those of us who are already certified should have to re-test or loose our credentials. We have already earned those. When a new technology in surgery is discovered, does the physician have to re-test or lose his license? I tend to think that companies selling AAPC CEU's are making a fortune on the backs of AAPC members by charging hundreds of dollars for a recorded online workshop worth 2 or 3 CEUs. Recently, at a cost containment meeting, it was brought to my attention that our nurses pay around $50 per year to renew their license and most of their CEUs are free. However, we coders can easily spend a thousand dollars a year on conferences and renewals. As employers begin to cut costs and cut our allotment for books, conferences and renewal fees, I believe this mandate on ICD 10 may become burdensome to some coders and it would be most unfortunate for people to loose credentials that they worked so hard to get. I work for a university and they have cut my allotment for ALL coding related materials, CEUs, renewal fees to $100.00 per year. I wonder how many more coders, like myself will find themselves in similar situations.

From what I have heard, AHIMA is now requiring an additional 12 CEU's for ICD-10 in addition to paying 25.00 a year to take an on-line test to keep credentials, plus membership and their training is much more expensive. You pay 185.00 per year for membership on top of that. You do not have to take a boot camp, it is not mandated. But obviously we need a way to learn this new code set. Many local chapters have been hosting I10 trainings for free (the AAPC has been sending instructors to local chapters for several months now at no charge to the chapters), they have 3 free webinars online, the free Coding Translator tool to help us mitigate the changes and a free tracking tool for I10 implementation compliance.

There are many ways we can get free CEU's. Our budgets get cut every year for sure, but if we go to Local Chapter meetings, do the Coding Edge and Edge Blast quizzes we can get our CEU's very low cost as well.
    Susan Ward, CPC, COC, CPC-I, CEMC, CPCD, CPRC
    AAPC ICD-10 Expert Trainer

A small act of kindness a day can make someone's day special

I agree with Susan. AHIMA requires 18 CEU's per year as AAPC does and the proficiency exam is to validate the Certified Coder has the skills necessary to code with ICD-10 on October 1, 2013. If the coder does not get the education, and validate their skill, the value of the CPC credential will be diminished and the AAPC wants to ensure that does not happen.
    As far as doctors go, it is true that anytime they utilize new procedures or technology they do have to certify with the hospital in order to get priviledges to perform them.

This is a massive change in healthcare coming down the pike and securing our futures in the office is going to be very necessary I think. I am working towards making myself the ICD-10 resource in my office.

WHills, CA

Smile ICD-10 Train yourself

Wow, after reading everyone's comments here, I thought I was the only one fuzzy about 10. But what I decided to do made the difference. All this constant training crap I think is becoming more evident that it only benefits the ones who collects the money. I did a little research on who, what, when, where for other professions and how they manage their credentials and CEU's, if any. What I found is that the money we have to spend just to get CEU's is outrageous for AHIMA and AAPC compared to nurses, technologists, etc. Even if, let say, for instance, AAPC and AHIMA reduce their membership fees. That will only mean raising fees for something else that is essential to our membership. And yes, group practices, and etc. are reducing the funding for picking up the training. Why? it is mostly not in their business models and I believe that these places now realize just how costly this expenditure really is in comparison to what they benefit from. One of the things I feel that contributes to this downturn in paying for training is auditing expenses and personnel.

Being a member of both AHIMA and AAPC, I certainly get to compare each member's benefits and drawbacks. One really needs to do the homework before jumping ship from one to another until you have all the facts.

As for ICD-10 training, I just do it myself and try to afford the most I can. I have found one book by Deborah Grider through AMA and I have downloaded all there is that CMS has posted on their website. I didn't see the need to buy a "draft" of 10 because why waste money on a book you can't use in a legit way. Besides the draft manual, guidelines, index, tab, pcs, is ALL on the CMS website and it's free. I'll wait to buy the ICD-10-PCS when it becomes final rule.

Hope this helps, I certainly don't mean to offend others I just wanted to share

Default anatomy

I've been told that I need to brush up on my anatomy for ICD10. Does
    anyone else believe that?

Columbia, MO

If you are not anatomy savy then ICD-10 could be a challenge. I suggest an anatomy and a physiolgy coloring book. It is the best tool for learning anatomy and physiology and who doesn't like to color!!

Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H

I recently took the AAPCs boot camp and found it extremely helpful for preparing for the change. I too suggest that one should brush up on anatomy.

Default ICD-10 & Anatomy

I have also heard that you have to brush up on anatomy for the ICD-10 upgrade. I don't know if anyone has used the ICD-10 translator either on the AAPC website or on Encoder, but an example I used was dx 717.2. In ICD-10, it can be 1 of 9 codes. ICD-10 codes are going to be specific to site, laterality, etc.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast