1. Your patient should be signing a consent form that states something along the lines of "This is what the doctor plans to do, but that may change when he gets in there." My surgeon ALWAYS has them sign a consent form that states that even though he plans to do a laparoscopc procedure, if he begins the procedure and this turns out not to be feasible, he WILL do an open procedure. Unless the patient specifically asks to be woken up if anything unexpected happens, you should be covered. You may want to read the patient consent forms that your office uses very carefully to see if this is covered. Also, if your physician doesn't fix the hernia now, it'll only get worse after making an incision right next to it. It would be medically unsound for him to leave the hernia, since it would have a significant negative impact on the patient's ability to heal from the primary procedure. Having said that, whether or not you can bill depends on the hernia repair.
2. Ventral hernia means a hernia on the front of the body. By that definition, the umbilical hernia is also a ventral hernia. Depending on how close together the two hernias were, you would either bill one ventral hernia repair code, or bill both hernia repair codes with modifier 59s. You would only do this is it is very clearly documented that both hernias were repaired via seperate incisions, or were two seperate complex repairs. Reducible Umbilical hernia repairs as a secondary procedure are frequently not reimbursed because they are considered to be part of the abdominal closure, but you can probably get reimbursed for an incarcerated Umbilical Hernia repair.
Hope that helps
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join