AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Arthroscopic Help

Unhappy Arthroscopic Help

AAPC: Back to School
    My docter performed an arthroscopic medial & lateral meniscectomy which he coded 29880. Would procedure 29880 included medial & lateral chondroplasty? I know the description includes meniscal shaving in 29880 but I was wondering if I could code seperate for chondroplasty 29877?

Partial Operative description: There was noted to be a surrounding area of grade 4 chondromalacia on the distal and posterior medial femoral condyle. I used a series of biters and a shaver to debride back the meniscus and cartilage to a stable base. The ACL was probed. It looked like there was old degenerative partial tearing. I debrided all this away with a shaver. Interstingly there was grade 4 chondromalacia noted on the lateral tibial plateau as well as a section of the far lateral lateral femoral ondyle. I debrided away any loose pieces of cartilage with a shaver. I debrided back the meniscus to a stable base.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Long Island/New York

29877 is bundled with 29880 unless done in patellofemoral compartment...

The Chondroplasty is reportable separately as long as it was performed in a separate compartment than the menisectomy. If so, check with your carrier because they may require you to use G0289 instead of the 29877.

Similar Threads

1. Arthroscopic Tuberoplasty
    By gmnelson22 in forum Orthopaedics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-21-2014, 09:04 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-22-2013, 05:46 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-05-2011, 09:19 AM
  4. Arthroscopic Vs Open
    By Partha in forum Orthopaedics
    Replies: 2