Without seeing the dictation, 63042/63044 seems to fit better since it appears it's a reexploration. I consulted with my neurosurgeon and he also concurs. If it was bilateral, be sure to add modifier 50.
I also asked one of my neurocoder guru's and here's her thoughts:
"Start out with the fusion exploration 22830. He probably does not note the laminectomy because the lamina was previously removed (just guessing here). I believe that this would still qualify for a reexploration 63042, unless he did COMPLETE foraminotomies and facetectomies. See if this describes what the doc did. Had the lamina been there, it would have been included in order to access the foramina"
Again, without seeing the op-note it's rather hard to tell...but 63042 is in agreement with my resources.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join