AAPC - Back to school
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ICD9 guidelines and lab coding

New Orleans, LA

AAPC: Back to School
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchellde View Post
    I am not sure what you saying. But if you are saying that if a strep test has a positive result then the coder can code strep that is incorrect. Only if a provider documents the result as positive strep can the coder then code that dx. A lab result is just that a result with no interpretation. A coder cannot code a dx that has not been rendered by the physician.
    I am saying use the indication for the test, not the dx.

Columbia, MO

Then I agree with you!

Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H

Question lab guidelines

Hi I am hoping to get information on the coding guidelines for Lab only orders.
    I work at t hospital and the Dr's send patients to the hospital to run labs as part of their physical exam. The problem I have is that they put V70.0 general health exam on their orders. Is it wrong to change this code to a V72.62 Labs being run as part of a physical exam?

I have been searching for documentation to support Lab coding guidelines. Can you provide me with a link?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

1. Icd9 code for lab 82670/estradiol
    By cheryldudley8 in forum OB/GYN
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-13-2013, 12:33 PM
  2. HIPPA Guidelines for Emailing Lab Results To Patients
    By stephanienicole in forum Billing/Reimbursement
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-31-2012, 06:41 AM
  3. sTAT-HELP!Phyiscian Office Lab vs Independent Lab
    By brake in forum Pathology & Clinical Laboratory