AAPC - Back to school

Thread: HBO documentation/med nec dx

Default HBO documentation/med nec dx

AAPC: Back to School
    Our surgeons see patients 3 days a wk at the hospital's wound care center. The reimbursement "training" we were given by the WCC advised that the only documentation we would need to support billing for the HBO Supervision 99183, is the HBO Treatment Record which lists HBO Indications at the top and the DX is usually marked there. We also receive a superbill that the MD marks their CPT and ICD-9 codes on.
    On this particular patient the HBO record has Diabetic Wound of Lower Extremities marked but on the superbill everyone has marked 250.70 707.06 and 707.07. They have also checked the box marked Diabetic Wounds of the Lower Extremity (DWLE) 250.7- or 250.8- and 707.1-.
    Pressure ulcers are not considered med nec dx for HBO treatment but 250.70 is covered per the NCD. Is it ok to bill 250.70 as the only DX code on the claim? I thought that an additional code had to be listed to indicate the manifestation.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Mary Beth Gord, CPC

Default Code 250.70

Yes, I also am sure that you need an additional code to follow 250.70 You must put the add-on code as secondary. Also, I am searching for a good superbill for our new wound care center. I have a template, would just like to see what other wound care centers are using and look at a good way to organize the ICD-9 codes. Can you help? I have been unable to find a good example. Thanks in advance My email address is lkeown@stchc.com

Similar Threads

1. Tracking Accts returned for Med Nec
    By mdwyer in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-30-2014, 11:09 AM
  2. Med Nec for 45378
    By az2tn@yahoo.com in forum Gastroenterology
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-17-2013, 02:24 PM
  3. Report denied med nec Dx 780.97, 437.1 for cpt 70545
    By she803 in forum Diagnosis Coding
    Replies: 4