Thread: ICD-9 help

Daytona Beach

Default ICD-9 help

AAPC: Back to School
    Please help me code lipodematosclerosis. Thanks

Heather D Unklesbay, CPC, MA
    Office Manager

Greeley, Colorado

I don't find that even in the dictionary...is this the correct spelling? Have you tried breaking down the term? In what context is it used?

I agree! I can't find this in the dictionary or ICD-9 book either. I would check the spelling, then maybe we can find the correct code. Have a great day!
    Dawson Ballard, Jr., CPC, CEMC, CPMA, CCS-P, CPC-P
    Compliance Auditor

Daytona Beach

Default Lipodermatosclerosis

Yes, this is the correct spellin. I could not find it in the dictiondary either, but I could find it online. It is the same thing as sclerosis, but fat is involed. I figured that it was a new dx or something, but I could not find any info on that. Is there a Dermatologist that could give on some insight on this dx. Thanks!

It looks like it is caused by chronic venous insufficiency. When you look that up (459.8)the tabular tells you to use additional codes for any associated ulceration 707.10 - 707.9

Daytona Beach

Default Thanks

Thank you so much for taking the time to research and respond.

Heather D Unklesbay, CPC,MA
    Office Manager
    Last edited by heathergirl; 04-17-2008 at 09:58 AM.

Smile lipodermatosclerosis

I checked this term out, and it indicates that the this is a stasis dermatitis, eczema, venous insufficiency and if you look under all the terms I came up with the 454.1. This is the web site I went to.

Hope it helps.

Default Eve

I may be off base here but there is a dermatosclerosis in the ICD-9, with the code 710.1, with see also scleroderma

Default lipodermatosclerosis, aka panniculitis

Here's what I came up with--729.3_, which matched what one of my providers used.

Panniculitis, unspecified [aka lipodermatosclerosis] 729.3_
    > 729.30 Panniculitis, unspecified site
    > 729.31 Hypertrophy of fat pad, knee
    > 729.39 Panniculitis, other site

Lipodermatosclerosis is one of the "complications of chronic venous insufficiency" (Clinical Policy Bulletin: Compression Garments for the Legs)

Category: fat disorder / Metabolic disorders
    Body Site: leg Age: 65 years
    Contributor: Margaret Moresi, MD

Description: At higher magnification, distinct lipomembranous changes can be appreciated as a feathery, eosinophilic lining to the thickened wall of the microcysts within the subcutaneous fat.
    Comments: This condition is commonly associated with vascular insufficiency, especially stasis changes. A frequent clinical presentation is an "apple-core" or "inverted champagne bottle" appearance to the lower legs. The differential diagnosis would include other forms of mixed septal and lobular panniculitis, including factitial etiologies.

I agree 729.3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast