AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Nursing home level of service

Harrisburg, PA

Unhappy Nursing home level of service

AAPC: Back to School
    When performing audits for several nursing home visits they are auditing out to a higher level due to the documentation of medical decision making. When discussing this with the provider he chooses the level based on the nature of the presenting problem.

Has anyone else had this issue. When coded they always come out to a higher level.

Which is correct way, nature of the presenting problem or the documentation?

I would appreciate any input.

Kansas City, MO

Here's how I see it....the nature of the presenting problem is chosen before the visit (it's like a guideline that should help determine risk and set up the level of care needed) and the MDM is determined after.
    Use the final MDM to drive your code. The MDM accounts for the points of final dx, actual work-up, tests ordered/reviewed/risk, etc...

In a sense, they are cousins...again....the NOPP is used to determine the appropriate level to build.

I think your doc is on the right track in wanting to bill a code that is medically necessary, but I think he misunderstands... overall the documentation determines the codes, the MDM supports it.

Does that make sense? Ha! Sorry, I am working on a nursing home audit, so you can imagine my brain is mush after 7 hours!
    Linda Vargas, CPC, CPCO, CPMA, CPC-I, CEMC
    PMCC Licensed Instructor
    Kansas City, MO Chapter
    Member Development Officer 2016
    Harrisonville, MO Chapter President - 2013
    ICD-10 Education Coordinator- 2012
    Chapter President - 2011
    President Elect - 2010

Harrisburg, PA

Thanks for your input.