If you are not a teaching hospital, why was there a resident in the OR performing a part of the procedure?
Sounds like the primary surgery listed YOUR surgeon as the assist. But if there was a resident present he will have to state in HIS operative report that the resident was not qualified and therefore he needed the assistance of your surgeon for ...... (whatever was performed).
You would code the same as the primary surgeon but with an assist modifier. (I'd say -82 which is used in a teaching hospital, but I'm really confused by your scenario.)
Hope that helped.
F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join