I would recommend that you dig up the info on CPCs and then CCS-Ps from teh two academies. The CPC says:
- Proficiency in adjudicating claims for accurate medical coding for diagnoses, procedures and services in physician-based settings
- Proficiency across a wide range of services, which include evaluation and management, anesthesia, surgical services, radiology, pathology and medicine
- Sound knowledge of medical coding rules and regulations including compliance and reimbursement. A trained medical coding professional can better handle issues such as medical necessity, claims denials, bundling issues and charge capture
- Knowing how to integrate medical coding and reimbursement rule changes into a practice's reimbursement processes
- Knowledge of anatomy, physiology and medical terminology necessary to correctly code provider diagnosis and services
AHIMA's CCS says:
CCSs are skilled in classifying medical data from patient records, generally in a hospital setting. These coding practitioners:
Review patientsâ€™ records and assign numeric codes for each diagnosis and procedure
Possess expertise in the ICD-9-CM and CPT coding systems
Are knowledgeable about medical terminology, disease processes, and pharmacology.
And then add in our code of ethics and you should be able to defend what you do and why she should pay attention. We bear the brunt of the responsibility though as certified coders as we are held to ahigher standard than non-certified ones do.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join