AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Medical Screening Exams

Exclamation Medical Screening Exams

AAPC: Back to School
    I was wondering if anyone knows if its okay to bill a low level for a medical screening exam? I know that the ETMLA laws state a medical screening exam must be done on everyone to find out if the pt is considered emergent/non emergent. I can not find any information whether or not its okay to bill a pt just for the medical screening exam.

Here is an example, pt comes in with sore throat the MD tells the pt its a non emergent issue. Then the pt has the choice whether to be seen or not. The pt decides to not be seen. Since the doctor did do a examination on the pt can I not bill a low level ER visit?

Thanks for the help,

Columbia, MO

The facility can bill a level. And so can the physician as long as the documentation can meet the ER low level visit.

Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H

Thank you for your help

Similar Threads

1. Coding gynec screening exams
    By kat1940 in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-04-2013, 08:27 PM
  2. preventatitve exams vs medical exams
    By yamagirl911 in forum Ophthalmology/Optometry
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-10-2012, 01:31 PM
  3. Screening vs medical