AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Coding from just dictation

Raleigh, NC

Default Coding from just dictation

AAPC: Back to School
    In our hospital, the ER physicians bills seperate from the hospital- we bill for the professional fees only. We do have a coder that codes for just the doctors, she does have the patients record available when she codes-so she can look at the facesheet, etc. Sometimes our doctors do get a little slack and do not put everything they do in the dictation, but they will write it on the facesheet. For my own peace of mind I would like to know if ever audited, will they take a look at the whole chart or just the dictated information?

When being audited they should be looking at the whole DOS. I have coded some ED with being dictated and they also have the fill in sheets too. As far as I am aware, this is perfectly fine as all is supposed to be looked at in an audit. The levels match the documentation in all documents. I hope this helps.

Similar Threads

1. Regarding dictation
    By rjenn86 in forum Orthopaedics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-16-2015, 08:52 AM
  2. Dictation
    By KHYATT@2016 in forum E/M
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-23-2014, 11:40 AM
  3. Dictation not being done
    By Rgreen0118 in forum Compliance General Discussion
    Replies: 3