FIRST - check with your attorney to see if you can legally share anything from the patient's chart with this person.
You will have to notify the person who requested the "consult" of HIPPA restrictions, requirements. And you will have to get the necessary permission/waiver from your patient to discuss his/her medical record with anyone.
As to FEE ... IF the patient (and your attorney) has agreed to the above. I would inform the personnel interviewer that my fee for this "consultation" would be $X/hour with a minimum of 1 hour payment, payable in advance by business or certified check. This is not a medical service to the patient. There is no exam and you are not providing counseling/coordination of care to the patient. You will have to interrupt your medical practice to meet with this person, at this person's request. I would expect the person requesting this kind of meeting to pay for it.
Hope that was helpful.
F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join