Teletrauma

Default Teletrauma
    Medical Coding Books
    Has anyone heard of this, and if so, what code do you use for it? My supervisors are asking us for a code to use for this service. Apparently this is a new service to our little hospital and someone here said that there is a new code for it but I can't seem to find anything. I've never heard the term used before for coding purposes. The physicians are apparently talking to each other on these TV screens. My boss says it is not a computer so its not online and they also say that it is not a face-to-face and not a team-conference code so I am running out of options. Anyone?

Default 99288?
    Could they be thinking of 99288 - Physician direction of emrgency medical systems (EMS) emergency care, advanced life support.

This is when a physician directs the EMS care via radio or other two-way voice communication from a central command center in the hospital.

See 2010 CPT Professional edition, page 20 under Other Emergency Services

Hope that helps.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC

Quote Originally Posted by LTibbetts View Post
    Has anyone heard of this, and if so, what code do you use for it? My supervisors are asking us for a code to use for this service. Apparently this is a new service to our little hospital and someone here said that there is a new code for it but I can't seem to find anything. I've never heard the term used before for coding purposes. The physicians are apparently talking to each other on these TV screens. My boss says it is not a computer so its not online and they also say that it is not a face-to-face and not a team-conference code so I am running out of options. Anyone?
    Do you think it's this?

Telemedicine

For purposes of Medicaid, telemedicine is the use of medical information exchanged from one site to another via electronic communications to improve a patient's health. Electronic communication means the use of interactive telecommunications equipment that includes, at a minimum, audio and video equipment permitting two-way, real time interactive communication between the patient, and the physician or practitioner at the distant site. Telemedicine is viewed as a cost-effective alternative to the more traditional face-to-face way of providing medical care (e.g., face-to-face consultations or examinations between provider and patient) that states may choose to cover. This definition is modeled on Medicare's definition of telehealth services located at 42 CFR 410.78. Note that the Federal Medicaid statute (Title XIX of the Social Security Act) does not recognize telemedicine as a distinct service.

Medical Codes—States may select from a variety of HCPCS codes (T1014 and Q3014), CPT codes and modifiers (GT, U1-UD) in order to identify, track and reimburse for telemedicine services.

http://www.cms.hhs.gov/Telemedicine/

Medicare billing requirements are listed in Section 190

http://www.cms.hhs.gov/manuals/downloads/clm104c12.pdf
    Last edited by RebeccaWoodward*; 03-11-2010 at 02:25 PM.

Question
    Rebecca, that is exactly what she meant, I believe. Thanks so much for your help with this!
    Last edited by LTibbetts; 03-15-2010 at 06:21 AM.

Also check out 0188T and 0189T - they are for critical care by video.