AAPC - Back to school

Thread: 11x9 keloid

Default 11x9 keloid

AAPC: Back to School
    Hi, I could use some help with a few codes. The surgeon removed a large 11x9 cm keloid from a child. I'm not sure what ICD-9 codes to use for a keloid that bleeds, iterfered with sleep and activities of life.

I appreciate any help you can give me.
    Thanks, kdm

Milwaukee WI

Default A keloid is a keloid is a keloid

Unless this is Addisons' keloid (i.e. Morphea) the diagnosis is the same regardless of size 701.4.

I know that more and more insurance companies want to refuse payment as a purely cosmetic procedure. I find before pictures with letter from physician outlining medical necessity helps in getting a predetermination / preauthorization for the surgery.

(Though now we're seeing denials for the original office visit due to diagnosis .... S I G H)

Hope that was helpful.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC

Default Thanks, Tessa

I appreciate your help. Are there any codes I could use to for the bleeding and other issues? It's seems that would help show the insurance company that this was not just cosmetic. ( I do have pictures to send as well) I am not sure what codes I could use along with the keloid code.
    Thanks, kdm

Similar Threads

1. Keloid scar
    By ASH527 in forum Dermatology
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-26-2012, 03:28 AM
  2. Keloid Removal
    By preserene in forum Dermatology
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-05-2010, 11:23 AM
  3. C/S and repair of old keloid scar
    By Lisa Bledsoe in forum OB/GYN