When was patient admitted to ICU? Immediately after surgery? Two days later? Two weeks later? Two months?
The way I read your question surgery was in January, and admission was very recently. If that is the case, I would code it with a -24 modifier. An occlusion requiring critical care services is definitely not routine postoperative care.
That being said. If your patient is covered by Medicare they probably will not pay for it ... though they will pay for a return to the OR for corrective surgery.
Hope that helps.
F Tessa Bartels,CPC, CEMC
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join