AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Robotic-Assisted Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy

Default Robotic-Assisted Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy

AAPC: Back to School
    Good afternoon! I was wondering if anyone was utilizing robotics in general surgery. If so, could you assist me in coding the above mentioned procedure--Could I use the basic LC code of 47562?

Thank you!

Yes, you can use CPT code 47562 for a robotic-assisted laparoscopic cholecystectomy. According to the October 2009 Coding Edge issue, "The procedure may sound exotic, but coding laparoscopic robotic-assisted surgery claims isn’t. The primary surgical procedure is laparoscopic and is covered by routine and customary laparoscopic CPT® and ICD-9-CM coding practices. There is no need for unlisted procedure codes or modifier 22 Increased procedural services for robotic assistance (unless, of course, there is no existing laparoscopic code to describe a procedure)." I hope this information helps.

Thank you so much!!! I must have missed that article!

Vancouver Washington

Our docs use the robot alot as well, and we add S2900 to or claim as well as the regular procedure code. Some insurances pay, some do not. It just depends. Good luck!!!
    Jaime Wicklund, CPC

Default Robotic-Assisted Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy

I have found an interesting article on the use of S2900. As jaimewicklund stated this is sometimes covered; however, that is dependent on payer descretion. See below.

Default Contrast

New to coding and still learning! Is the contrast included in 47560-47570? if so what code should I be using? Any help is appreciated!