Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Healthcare Bill

Default New Healthcare Bill
    Clearnace Sale
    Hi All,

Any thoughts regarding new healthcare regulations? How it will affect coding field (Anything: demand for coders, salaries, etc)?

Thanks,

Kate Suchanek, CPC

Quote Originally Posted by kasuch View Post
    Hi All,

Any thoughts regarding new healthcare regulations? How it will affect coding field (Anything: demand for coders, salaries, etc)?

Thanks,

Kate Suchanek, CPC
    I hate to admit this but I really haven't been following this as closely as I should have been, I'd love to hear some feedback as well.

Then maybe I can play "catch up".
    Roxanne Thames CPC, CPC-I, CEMC
    rthamescpci@gmail.com

"Remember the greatest gift is not found in the store but in the heart of true friends"

I wonder also. Seems like there is no really good solution for it or either sides. scary though

The bill has changed so much since the beginning that I am not sure what we are and aren't getting. I am concerned about how it will affect everyone in general.

I don't think it will affect coders jobs negatively. If anything, I think we'll be even more needed because of the increase of people being insured (more people may be going to the doctors because they have to have health insurance by 2014).
    Donna E. Young, CPC

Here's a link for more info on what's going on:

http://www.medscape.com/resource/healthcare-reform
    Donna E. Young, CPC

I too am interested in the effects to coders, patients, providers, etc... Maybe someone can explain it in plain English. Sometimes issues that involve the goverment get so filtered that it makes no sense to common people like me. Thanks' so much!

Default It won't change nothin'
    With more people insured, more patients will be seen and their bills will have to be filed. If anything, coders and billers will get a boost from this.

Lin CPC

Yes, with more people insured there will be more claims to code, but I'm looking at this more from a compliance perspective. With the expansion of Medicare/Medicaid fraud recovery efforts, there will a higher demand for qualified and experienced coders. While all the insurance rules and regulations are important, being able to translate procedures into code that is accurately reflected by the medical record will be an evn more valuable skill in the legal/financial arena.

A coder will be able to get the bills paid but, more importantly, a coder will ensure those payments are justified and not returnable on audit.

Quote Originally Posted by whaleheadking View Post
    Yes, with more people insured there will be more claims to code, but I'm looking at this more from a compliance perspective.
    This is excellent advice. Don't forget, this new plan will take several years to implement, however, with there being the opportunity for a larger Medicare and Medicaid population, now is the time to start paying additional attention to regulatory guidance.

I've said this before, but whaleheadking is correct: compliance experience is going to be in high demand, and as this field becomes more complicated through the sheer volume of insured patients, coding positions are going to require that we have advanced knowledge in all aspects of the revenue cycle. Simply knowing how to append a modifier will not be enough, and entry level positions are going to be difficult to maintain and hard to find. Knowledge is power, so we should all take advantage of all the AAPC has to offer, and make sure that we can be in a good position to continue to add value to our job responsibilities.

I've not read all 2000+ pages of the bill, but many healthcare publications have recently posted some great articles that have outlined the quick and dirty of it all. Make sure you get your information from a reputable source who will give you the details without a political spin. There are a lot of opinions out there; get the facts.

I'll be interested to hear if, at the National Conference, the AAPC addresses this topic.
    Pam Brooks, MHA, COC, PCS, CPC, AAPC Fellow
    Coding Manager
    Wentworth-Douglass Hospital
    Dover, NH 03820

If you can dream it, you can do it. Walt Disney

Default Yes - this is nothing but great news for us
    I'm taking courses to ramp up my compliance chops already!

Lin CPC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast