AAPC - Back to school

Thread: ER Consult, IP admission and discharge on same day

Question ER Consult, IP admission and discharge on same day

AAPC: Back to School
    Physician did a consult in the ER and then admitted the patient to the hospital. Patient was leaving AMA, so they gave discharge instructions. All of this was on the same date. Should I bill a consult and then an admission/discharge on same date? Suggestions?????

I would not bill a consult and an admit/discharge on the same day. I would just bill the admit/discharge on the same day code for this. Per CPT when a patient is admitted to the hospital as an inpatient in the course of an encounter in another site of service (such as ED) all E/M services provided by that physician in conjunction with that admission are considered part pf the initial hospital care when performed on the same date as the admission. I would use the work the physician provided as the consult and the admission note to determine my admit/discharge code.
    Christina Lee Wagner, CPC, CPC-H

Greeley, Colorado

You might want to take a look at CPT codes 99234 - 99236 as they are for inpatient or observation admit and discharge on same date of service.

Similar Threads

1. Admission and Discharge
    By eleciah83 in forum E/M
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-29-2015, 02:58 PM
  2. Inpatient consult/discharge on same day
    By lcaskew1 in forum E/M
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-09-2014, 10:44 PM
  3. Consult & Discharge in same day
    By AmandaW in forum E/M
    Replies: 2