PAPS with E&M

Default PAPS with E&M
    Medical Coding Books
    Does anyone out there have an answer to this question:? What if a patient returns to the office for a repeat pap only- can our docs bill out a 99212 as well as the specimin handling for the pap? For ex: if the first pap was inadequate or the patient needs to have another pap because the previous one showed abnormalities. Our docs always place a 99212 for this visit... Is anyone else out there billing E&M's with these?????

2. Default
    You cannot charge an office visit if the patient is only coming back for a repeat pap. You can only charge for the speciman and handling.

Mary C.

Quote Originally Posted by Valerie813 View Post
    Does anyone out there have an answer to this question:? What if a patient returns to the office for a repeat pap only- can our docs bill out a 99212 as well as the specimin handling for the pap? For ex: if the first pap was inadequate or the patient needs to have another pap because the previous one showed abnormalities. Our docs always place a 99212 for this visit... Is anyone else out there billing E&M's with these?????
    Your provider should not be charging a 99212 for a repeat pap, only a handling fee.
    Roxanne Thames CPC, CPC-I, CEMC
    rthamescpci@gmail.com

"Remember the greatest gift is not found in the store but in the heart of true friends"

Default E&M with repeat pap
    Well,

"There's strength in numbers".... No, you cannot bill the 99212 for a repeat pap. To me, this is no different than having a patient come in for a lab only visit prior to a physical - you are getting a specimen only so you should only for obtaining the specimen. I suppose they have the patient come back later to discuss the results and charge a 99213 or 99214? That way they get 3 E&M visits on one patient for a pap: E&M + pap, 99212 + repeat pap, and E&M to discuss results from repeat pap.

Hunter Smith, CPC

Thank you everyone for your help!

6. Default repeat paps and E/M's
    Does anyone know where I can find that in writing? I want to write an appeal against my OB/GYN for this exact senario. I had a repeat pap due to insufficient cell collection and they charged me 99212 when I returned for a second pap. To make matters worse, the original pap was done at my post-partum check!