Is there an "official" definition of a manifestion? As in, manifestation is an unacceptable principal dx, or, code first the underlying condition, sequence the manifestation 2nd. I've not been able to find one!
I teach coding at the college level and my students struggle with this concept...they take it "too far." They want to apply it to every coding situation with more than one dx, regardless of other instructions in the Tabular List. For example, when coding a disease caused by an infectious organism, often the disease is first and the infectious organism is 2nd. Students think the infectious organism is the underlying disease and want to code it first.
Any thoughts on how to help new coders understand the different clinical situations would be appreciated! Thanks!
- Exam Preparation
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Software / Digital
- Code Lookup (AAPC Coder)
- Practicode (online coding simulation)
- E/M Analyzer
- CPT RVU Calculator
- Health Plan Search (Provider Policies)
- Book Store
- Log In / Join