In answer to your question, Medicare guidelines changed to reflect CPT's creation of codes for smoking cessation so use the 99406-99407 codes instead of the G codes now. The Medicare Claims Processing Manual has not yet been updated to reflect the code changes from the G-codes but that was covered in CMS transmittal 1433 (Change Request 5878) dated 02/01/08. But the Manual language does address your question about billing with a medically necessary E/M service in Chapter 32, Section 12.1:
Contractors shall allow payment for a medically necessary E/M service on the same day as the smoking and tobacco-use cessation counseling service when it is clinically appropriate. Physicians and qualified non-physician practitioners shall use an appropriate HCPCS code, such as HCPCS 99201â€“ 99215, to report an E/M service with modifier 25 to indicate that the E/M service is a separately identifiable service from G0375 or G0376.
I hope you have found this post helpful.
Maryann C. Palmeter, CPC
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join