AAPC - Back to school

Thread: student question: please help me!

Default student question: please help me!

AAPC: Back to School
    For the life of me I cannot fiquire out what I did wrong on a test:
    question was:
    " code sickle cell disease with crisis for breast cancer (currently being treated)"

teacher answer: 282.62( Hb-SS with crisis) -noting nothing on breast cancer

my answer: 282.69, (I agree that probally is wrong) V10.3

do you code Hb-SS unless otherwise specified-Hb-C etc? (that is why I put other because type was unknown)

If the paper just says breast cancer- would you put V10.3(breast- history of conditions classified to 174-175)?
    Can someone give me a clue? Thank you for helping me.

K.Mosz, student JSRCC

Columbia, MO

I think the question is badly worded for one. Breast cancer currently being treated is 174.9 if we do not know the quadrant. The sickle cell with crisis NOS I get 282.62 but there must be an additional code for the crisis. So is the statement saying that the breast cancer is the crisis? I have never heard of that but I guess it is possible.

Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H

Bettendorf, IA

I agree with Debra on this. The question is very poorly worded, and would require more specification in documentation in the "real world" setting. Good luck!