AAPC - Back to school

Thread: PAD help please!!

New Port Richey & Clearwater

Default PAD help please!!

AAPC: Back to School
    I am having trouble with DX coding for PAD cases. The Doctor is only saying things like 'tissue breakdown of the feet'. (I have asked for more but I am not getting it) I have looked everywhere in the ICD9 the only breakdown codes pertain to dental. Does anyone have any suggestions & no the foot is not gangrenous.

Default Pad

Good morning,

Once upon a time, the docs called this peripheral vascular disease and in recent years, changed the phrasing to peripheral artery disease. After a lengthy discussion with one of the vascular surgeons as well as with a cardiologist, it was mutually agreed that 443.9 (in the absence of more detailed information) best describes this condition.

Hope this sheds a little light on the issue.

New Port Richey & Clearwater

Yes it does I was looking at the 443.9 but didnt know if I had enough to use it. you are a lifesaver, thanks.

Default Pad

You are VERY welcome...these coding forums are certainly a wonderful asset.

Have a great day

Similar Threads

1. Pad/abi
    By ReneeGillam CPMA CMOM CMC in forum Podiatry
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-31-2013, 04:22 PM
  2. Pad
    By bdempsey in forum Cardiology
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-23-2013, 07:02 AM
  3. PAD / occlusion
    By arizona1 in forum Diagnosis Coding