AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Laparoscopic Meckel's Diverticulectomy

Question Laparoscopic Meckel's Diverticulectomy

AAPC: Back to School
    How would you code Laparoscopic Meckel's Diverticulectomy? 44238- unlisted laparoscopic procedure, intestine (except rectum) or 44899- unlisted procedure, meckel's diverticulum and the mesentery

I think I would go with 44899.

Why would you go with 44899? This was done laparoscopically.

44899 does not necessarily mean that its done open, it's for anything re: the meckel's that is not listed. Since there is not a code for lap removal, this is the closest thing. It is more specific than than 44238 since its talking about the intestines in general.

Greater Orlando

As a 30 year billing and coding veteran, I can tell you that "unlisted" codes are a fight to get paid. I never use them. Good luck.

Milwaukee WI

Default We get paid

We use unlisted codes when they are the most accurate way to code something. We may get a request for more info, which we happily provide along with a letter explaining why no existing CPT code was appropriate, and we get paid.

Not saying it's as easy as using an existing code. Using the unlisted code also helps to quantify a need for developing a new specific CPT code.

Just my opinion.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC

Pittsburgh Central

Someone once suggested to me to use 44180 - laparoscopic enterolysis. I thought an unlisted code would be more appropriate as well. I was wondering what everyone else thought about it.