AAPC - Back to school

Thread: percutaneous vs open angioplasty/stent

Default percutaneous vs open angioplasty/stent

AAPC: Back to School
    If surgeon does cut down of femoral artery and then places wire up into aorta to do aortogram and then moves into superficial femoral artery to do angioplasty, would this be considered open since he is doing cut down of the artery? I am being told that I should use percutaneous codes but I am thinking I should be using open codes. Please advise.

Thank you.

Hi Vicky I agree with you 100%. If the access was by femoral cut-down then it would be open.

Thank you.

Tarrant County, Fort Worth

Also agree, if there is a cut-down, it is considered open, not percutaneous.

Default need additional code

you need to use code 34812, open femoral artery exposure in addition to the percutaneous code

Procedure code 34812 is for Open femoral artery exposure for delivery of endovascular prosthesis, by groin incision, unilateral. This should not be used with a stent placement. It is used with most often the code range of 34800-34833.

thanks..you are correct.

Similar Threads

1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-18-2013, 11:27 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-29-2012, 09:56 AM
  3. Percutaneous Transluminal Angioplasty
    By em2177 in forum Cardiology
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-22-2012, 11:22 AM
  4. Attempted Percutaneous/luminal angioplasty
    By willnat2 in forum Cardiology