This will depend on your carrier.
WPS Medicare has specifically instructed us to use 99499 Unlisted E/M when documentation does not meet the minimum requirements for 99221.
Other carriers want you to use the subsequent visit codes (99231-99233).
Check with your carrier.
Also ... since it's the exam that is at issue in your case ... did you audit using BOTH 1997 and 1995 guidelines. It may meet the standard with 1995.
F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join