Had the surgery actually started?
If NO ... We had a case not too long ago where the patient went into anaphylatic shock after anesthesia administered but before the surgeon had begun to do anything (patient was still being positioned/draped). We did NOT bill anything for surgeon.
If surgeon had made an incision to begin the procedure, I would code the procedure being started with a -53 modifier. I would not code all 9 procedures.
Just my take on things. Hope that helps.
F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join