No. The tonsillectomy codes, and adenoidectomy codes for that matter, assume both side surgery. Therefore, it is not appropriate to append modifier 50 to any of the tonsillectomy or adenoidectomy codes (ie, 42820-42836).
append modifier 52 (reduced services) to the appropriate CPT code when performed unilaterally (eg, unilateral tonsillectomy for suspected cancer).
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join