AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Is this 13160 or something else?

Portland, Maine

Default Is this 13160 or something else?

AAPC: Back to School
    I am pulling my hair out trying to decide if this is repair of a wound dehiscence or if this is debridement and repair. I would appreciate any feedback.

Patient is 3 1/2 wks s/p lumbar arthrodesis instrumentation removal and a repeat laminectomy. She is seen for possible wound dehiscence.After the patient was under anesthesia, one of the wounds was probed with a curved hemostat which went deep into the fascia. The wound was dissected down to the fascia and upon reaching the fascia there was some drainage. The fascia was opened to reveal a large seroma which extended to the dura. All soft tissue was curetted, lavaged and layer closured.

I don't know whether this should be a debridement with layer closure or repair of the wound dehiscence.

Thanks for any feedback.

Milwaukee WI

Default Not 13160

I do not think this is 13160. Have you looked at 10140?

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC

Portland, Maine

I was not even going to consider 10140 because it seems so superficial compared to what was actually done. I think 11043 or 11044 would be more appropriate than the 10140. Other opinions? Thanks for your feedback.

look at 10180.
    in coders desk reference it says:
    This procedure treats an infected postop wound. A more complex than usual I&D procedure is necessary to remove the fuluid and allow the surgical wound to heal. The physician first removes the surgical sutures or staples and/or makes additional incisions into the skin. The wound is drained of infected fluid. Any necrotic tissue is removed from the surgical site and the wound is irrigated. The wound may be sutured closed or packed open w/gauze to allow additional drainage.

Hope that helps,