Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

SFA atherectomy and angioplasty for in stent restenosis

  1. Question SFA atherectomy and angioplasty for in stent restenosis
    Medical Coding Books
    I would love any thoughts on the correct way to code this op report!

    The patient was brought to the endovascular suite. She was preped and draped in the usual sterile fashion. 1% lidocine used to anesthetize the left groin. There, a 6 French femoral arterial sheath was placed by Sledinger technique and contralateral access achieved using a rim catheter, Terumo Glidewire, Terumo glide catheter , and a SuperCore wire. A 7 French contralateral sheath was placed. Angiography revealed a patent right external and common femoral. The right superficial femoral artery had in-stent restenosis of approximately 80 percent, patent popliteal, and three vessel runoff. There was diffuse lesions in the posterior tibia. The anterior tibial and peroneal made it to the ankle. The posterior tibia made it to the ankle with a segment of diffuse disease of approximately 75 to 80 percent distally. The superficial femoral artery was wired using a 0.014 Spartacore wire. Heparin was given to maintain ACT greater than 250. A turbo tandem laser catheter was used to ablate plaque through the superficial femoral artery. Two passed were performed which reduced the stenosis to less than 50 percent. Balloon dilatation ws performed with a 5 X 120 VascuTRAK two balloon, relieving the stenosis to less than 10 percent.

    Impression: Status post successful right superficial femoral artery in-stent restenosis atherectomy and angioplasty, using a Turbo tandem laser and a 5 X 120 VascuTRAK two balloon. No complications.

    I am really confused and don't actually understane the in-stent restenosis! Any help would be appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Susan

  2. #2
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by sharper View Post
    I would love any thoughts on the correct way to code this op report!

    The patient was brought to the endovascular suite. She was preped and draped in the usual sterile fashion. 1% lidocine used to anesthetize the left groin. There, a 6 French femoral arterial sheath was placed by Sledinger technique and contralateral access achieved using a rim catheter, Terumo Glidewire, Terumo glide catheter , and a SuperCore wire. A 7 French contralateral sheath was placed. Angiography revealed a patent right external and common femoral. The right superficial femoral artery had in-stent restenosis of approximately 80 percent, patent popliteal, and three vessel runoff. There was diffuse lesions in the posterior tibia. The anterior tibial and peroneal made it to the ankle. The posterior tibia made it to the ankle with a segment of diffuse disease of approximately 75 to 80 percent distally. The superficial femoral artery was wired using a 0.014 Spartacore wire. Heparin was given to maintain ACT greater than 250. A turbo tandem laser catheter was used to ablate plaque through the superficial femoral artery. Two passed were performed which reduced the stenosis to less than 50 percent. Balloon dilatation ws performed with a 5 X 120 VascuTRAK two balloon, relieving the stenosis to less than 10 percent.

    Impression: Status post successful right superficial femoral artery in-stent restenosis atherectomy and angioplasty, using a Turbo tandem laser and a 5 X 120 VascuTRAK two balloon. No complications.

    I am really confused and don't actually understane the in-stent restenosis! Any help would be appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Susan
    The patient has a previous stenosis that was opened w/ a stent. Now the patient developed another stenosis inside the stent. You would code this as an atherectomy, which supercedes the angioplasty charge.
    I hope this helps you,
    Jim Pawloski

  3. Thumbs up
    Thanks Jim and yes that helps a lot. My doc actually coded an atherectomy AND a stent but I couldn't see the stent placement in the dictation, therefore the post here! I'm having a hard time finding information on multiple procedures and what bundles to what. I need to educate my doc's on things just like this but can't put my hands on anything. Any suggestions?

    Have a great day,
    Susan

  4. #4
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by sharper View Post
    Thanks Jim and yes that helps a lot. My doc actually coded an atherectomy AND a stent but I couldn't see the stent placement in the dictation, therefore the post here! I'm having a hard time finding information on multiple procedures and what bundles to what. I need to educate my doc's on things just like this but can't put my hands on anything. Any suggestions?

    Have a great day,
    Susan
    Book wise, either SIR coding book or Z-health publishing. Also watch this web site, you may see someone else ask a question that may assist you. Good luck and keep asking!
    Jim Pawloski, MSA, CIRCC, R.T.(R)(CV)

  5. #5
    Location
    Bay City Michigan
    Posts
    24
    Default atherectomy and angioplasty
    I thought you can now code both the atherectomy and angioplasty in vascular only, per Medicare guidelines, plus the S & I codes. CCI says no bundling.
    In heart caths, you can only bill the stent.

  6. Default
    I don't know but I sure hope we get some more comments on this one! I've heard both ways but I don't know for sure. I think it has a lot to do with the dictation and the original intent.

  7. #7
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by GBielskis View Post
    I thought you can now code both the atherectomy and angioplasty in vascular only, per Medicare guidelines, plus the S & I codes. CCI says no bundling.
    In heart caths, you can only bill the stent.
    Hello,
    Check out my question in the Interventional Radiology section, on pg 2. I had asked the same question and was told that Dr Z states that the atherectomy supercedes the angioplasty. It's the one that someone had labeled it with four stars.
    Thanks,
    Jim Pawloski,CIRCC

  8. #8
    Default
    The following is in Medicare's online CCI manual:

    17. When percutaneous angioplasty of a vascular lesion is followed at the same session by a percutaneous or open atherectomy, generally due to insufficient improvement in vascular flow with angioplasty alone, only the more comprehensive atherectomy that was performed (generally the open procedure) should be reported (see sequential procedure policy, Chapter I, Section M).

    Jessica CPC, CCC

  9. #9
    Location
    Bay City Michigan
    Posts
    24
    Default Angioplasties and atherectomies
    I am sorry -I did not make myself clear - If the doctor plans only to do an angioplasty - completes the angioplasty, states it did not solve the problem, then proceeds to do a stent, both the procedures are billable per CMS. If the doctor initially plans to do the stent and does the angioplasty prior to the stent, it is included - only bill the stent.

    That is the only situation I know where they are both billable and payable.

    I am currently trying to find information to support this.
    Last edited by GBielskis; 04-22-2010 at 03:57 PM.

  10. Default
    Please post it if you find anything.
    Thanks,
    Susan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Dx code for Coronary Stent restenosis?
    By FLSJarrel in forum Cardiology
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-26-2013, 10:39 AM
  2. Atherectomy of the SFA
    By amym in forum Cardiology
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-09-2013, 04:21 PM
  3. Attempted Left SFA Laser Atherectomy-Unsuccessful
    By willnat2 in forum Cardiology
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-02-2012, 11:27 AM
  4. please help:atherectomy/angioplasty help
    By bmkardok in forum Cardiology
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-28-2010, 10:48 AM
  5. Angioplasty v. Atherectomy
    By manna426 in forum Interventional Radiology
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-24-2008, 03:44 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Enjoying Our Forums?

AAPC forums are a benefit of membership. Joining AAPC grants you unlimited access, allowing you to post questions and participate with our community of over 150,000 professionals.

Join Now Continue Reading Without Full Access

Already a Member?

Login

Close Message

In addition to full participation on AAPC forums, as a member you will be able to:

  • Access to the largest healthcare job database in the world.
  • Join over 150,000 members of the healthcare network in the world.
  • Be a part of an industry leading organization that drives the business side of healthcare.
  • Save anywhere from 10%-50% with exclusive member discounts on courses, books, study materials, and conferences.
  • Access to discounts at hundreds of restaurants, travel destinations, retail stores, and service providers. AAPC members also have opportunities to save on heath, life, and liability insurance.
  • Become a member of a local chapter and attend regular meetings.