Did the physician inject the L4 and the L5 or the L4-L5 as this changes number of levels for coding, particularly transforaminal.
The S1 foraminal injection is a transforaminal injection.
IF the physician performed a transforaminal injection of the L4 spinal nerve at the L4-L5 interspace AND a transforminal injection of the L5 spinal nerve at the L5-S1 interspace, then along with the S1 foraminal injection, he would have injected a total of 3 separate levels or 64483 x 1 and 64484 x 2
IF however the physician performed a transforaminal injection of the L4 spinal nerve at the L4-L5 interspace and the S1 foraminal injection, he would have injected only 2 separate levels and would be coded as 64483 x 1 and 64484 x 1.
You may need to check with your physician if the injection procedure detail doesn't clearly identify the number of needles inserted / number of levels injected.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join