AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Need help coding interpetation of pathology

Default Need help coding interpetation of pathology

AAPC: Back to School
    Good morning,

I am so stumped as to what would be the appropriate code for a physician to bill for the following scanario. Hope you can help!

"I am interpreting transmission electron microscopy images (approximately 20 per patient) of nasal biopsies (ciliary axonemes) for the diagnosis of primary ciliary dyskinesia."

Originally I was thinking 88348 with a 26 modifier but that can't be right becasue a lab has already billed in another facility without the TC modifier. Then I thought 80500: Lab Consult but apparently there would be a conflict with place of service. As we would use "office" place of service.

Any thoughts??

Mary Beth

New Orleans, LA

80500 is a clinical pathology consult. Electron Microscopy is surgical path so that code doesn't apply.

Is the other lab interpreting the images? From what's described this isn't a consult to begin with but the professional component and they should only be billing the technical half.

I believe the lab in another location (not within our practice) is also performing the test. When the results come in, they are sending images of the slides to our MD for diagnosis confirmation.

I thought about the 88348 with the 26 modifier but didn't know if that was appropriate given that anoother lab billed without the TC modifier??

Similar Threads

1. Pathology coding - I am new to Pathology coding
    By Rgreen0118 in forum Pathology & Clinical Laboratory
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-27-2011, 05:41 PM
  2. Pathology coding - I'm new to Pathology coding
    By rere500 in forum Pathology & Clinical Laboratory
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-26-2010, 08:12 AM
  3. E/M code for interpetation????
    By mb12345 in forum E/M
    Replies: 0