Each lesion is coded separately. If layered or complex closure was required to close the excisional wound, you may also code that separately.
List your first lesion code.
List your second lesion code with -59 modifier
List your code for closure with -59 modifier (Here you add the total lenth of similar wounds together ... so if both lesions required layered closure and # 1 was 2 cm long and # 2 was 3 cm long you'd have a total lenght of 5 cm)
Hope that helps.
F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join