I have recently taken on surgical coding and I am very confused by what I have been taught and what I have read in the coding companion regarding appendectomy codes 44950 & 44955.
It appears that 44950 should only be used in the istance of an incidental appendectomy. So when my surgeon performs an expl laparotomy that reveals acute appendicitis, then performs the appendectomy I would code 49000 and 44955. The previous coders nearly always billed 44950 for every appendectomy. Can someone please explain when 44950 is appropriate to bill? Will I nearly always code 44955 when done with another procedure and there is an indicated diagnosis? I'm extremly frustrated and confused by what I have been taught and what I have read.
- Exam Preparation
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Software / Digital
- Code Lookup (AAPC Coder)
- Practicode (online coding simulation)
- E/M Analyzer
- CPT RVU Calculator
- Health Plan Search (Provider Policies)
- Book Store
- Log In / Join