Let me see if I can help.
1- 44950 is not for incidental appy. It is for the appy the note on incident says IF this is an incidental appy then either do not report it or use the code with a 52 modifier.
2 - 44955 is an add on code when at the time of another major procedure you alos performed an appy not as incidental.
3 - you do not report the exploratory procedure once a definitive procedure is performed. In otherwords the exploratory was the approach for the appy.
4 - If the exploratory was performed for a problem such as abd pain and the appendix was revealed as the source of the pain then code an appy 44950. If they mad the decision to take the appendix just because they were already there so why not, then it is incidental so you should not code it.
So in your descibed incident with the acute appendicitis then code 44950
- ICD-10 Training
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join