This is what I was taught:
NO E/M services related to the surgery can be billed to Medicare in the post-op global period. Many commercial carriers are starting to follow CMS lead on this. But per CPT infection is NOT routine post-op care, so some commercial carriers are still paying with the -24 modifier.
So I guess it depends not only on the carriers but also if the pt has to go back to the operating room. If that is the case, I believe you can code it but only with the appropriate modifier.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join