Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Laminectomy code - What is the most appropriate code

Default Laminectomy and Harrington for Anesthesia
    Medical Coding Books
    Thanks Nalini,

It was provided, personally by the Anesthesiologist, and on a otherwise healthy patient, so I added the modifiers too....and got 00670-AA-P1. Do you agree?

2. Default
    Hi,
    Yes you are correct, but i am not sure about the P1 modifier, check the physical status in anesthesia record ?

Regards,
    Nalini CPC

P1 means normal healthy patient. I got it from Ingenix Encoder. Do think it is something else?

4. Default
    ohs.. ..you are correct.

Regards,
    Nalini CPC

In regards, to the additional question on this thread about HCPCS supply code for spinal instrumentation, I copy and pasted below this notation I found on Medtronic's Spineline

Hospital > C-Codes for Spinal Devices

Hospitals are required to use C-codes to report certain drugs, biologicals and devices used in conjuction with outpatient procedures billed and paid for under the Medicare Hospital Outpatient Prospective Payment System (HOPPS).

While there may be C-codes that are appropriate for describing a few of Medtronic Sofamor Danek's technologies, the technologies' indication and application in instrumented spine procedures precludes the assignment of a C-code to the products.

C-codes report devices used in conjunction with outpatient procedures billed and paid for under Medicare HOPPS (outpatient procedures only).

All instrumented spine procedures are on Medicare's "Inpatient List." The inpatient list specifies those services that are only paid when provided in an inpatient setting.

Because instrumented spinal procedures are "inpatient only" and C-codes represent devices used in an outpatient setting, C-codes do not exist for MSD's products.
    For further information, please contact the SPINELINE® (hospital and physician coding/billing support) at (877) 690-5353 or spinalcodinghospital@medtronic.com.

Thanks, Nalini. I feel better now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12