AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Medical Records - Bound or Not Bound

Greater Philadelphia

Default Medical Records - Bound or Not Bound

AAPC: Back to School
    I would appreciate everyone's opinion on what the gold standard is - bound or unbound medical records - both my derm and pediatrician do not bind their records and the papers are flying all over and disorganized. I believe the docs appear disorganized, chance for error greater, etc. with unbound records -am I wrong here? Once on EMR it is a moot point - until then, what is considered the gold standard? My practice has always bound and used section dividers. I am currently consulting with a new practice and they do not bind their records.....
    Barbara Bernal MBA,CPC
    Barbara Coupe Bernal, MBA, CPC

Glendale, AZ

Our physicians work within the hospital and the hospital's medical records are bound and organized. They use a simple folder that has a metal fastener at the top on each side of the folder when you open it. Of course, now we are EMR though (thank goodness!).

I agree with you, they have more of a chance for error being unbound/unorganized.

Good luck!
    Donna E. Young, CPC

I agree with Donna totally. What could possibly be the advantage of "unbound"? In a "heaven-forbid" audit situation, an auditor wants to see everything organized in chronilogical order. Why would we want to hand them a chart that's disorganized and potentially has missing stuff or worse...someone's stuff.

Greater Philadelphia

I agree - to me it's a no brainer - but to these physicians, it's like you are suggesting some foreign method of practicing medicine - thanks for your comments Donna and Jenna. I would still love to hear from some other office based practitioners!!
    Thanks so much!
    Barbara Coupe Bernal MBA CPC
    Barbara Coupe Bernal, MBA, CPC