AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Transplant billing dates

Question Transplant billing dates

AAPC: Back to School
    We have a disgreement in our practice that I'm hoping someone can shed some light on. Our physicians believe (and I think they're correct, though I cannot find any supporting documentation) that the correct DOS to use for a transplant surgery is the date that the transplanted organ is reperfused. The hospital side states that the date the cut is made beginning the surgery is the correct DOS (as with other surgeries). If any of you have information on this I would really appreciate it if you would share!
    Last edited by ccaldewey; 04-26-2010 at 12:04 PM.

Default Transplant date

I would say that the date of service/surgery is when the physician is performing the actual procedure. If the physician harvests an organ, then you would use the appropriate px code and date performed. If the physician performs a transplanted organ into the recipient then again the appropriate px code and date performed. This is how I would do the coding, I would be interested to hear if anyone else has any other rational. Hope this helps

Similar Threads

1. G0181 billing/485 dates
    By kah55*aapc in forum Billing/Reimbursement
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-15-2015, 12:43 PM
  2. Admit & Discharge dates vs Dates related to services
    By MFMcoder in forum Billing/Reimbursement
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-11-2012, 06:56 AM
  3. Kidney transplant
    By Yvonne McCreery in forum Urology
    Replies: 3