AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Bilateral Procedures

Wink Bilateral Procedures

AAPC: Back to School

I have a general question regarding bilateral procedures. My understanding for bilateral procedures is if the procedure was perfomed unilaterally, RT/LT modifiers can be used to depict which side the bilateral procedure was performed on.

The thing that I'm not sure on is when billing for bilateral procedures, must modifier 50 be appended to the procedure or can the procedure be billed as is without mod 50?

San Antonio, Tx

In the AAPC Coding Edge for May 2010, this very subject is covered. Great artical with great references. Look for it on page 46.
    Good Luck!
    Ray Galvez CPC

Default Conventry of Georgia Mods for Bilateral Procedures

Anyone know what the general rule is for Conventry of Georgia on mods for bilaterl injections? They obviously do not like the RT/LT for J7321 but covered it on the 20610. Oh and customer service is not very helpful either. Their reponse " I can't tell you HOW to bill it, just send a corrected claim." Seriously? So any ideas what to correct it to?

For bilateral procedures, if the description does not specify that it is bilateral, then the 50 modifier has to be used. The rt/lt usage varies from insurance companies. Coventry of everywhere is not very helpful. Good luck

Similar Threads

1. Bilateral Procedures
    By beatriz88b in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-06-2015, 01:39 PM
  2. Bilateral Procedures
    By keke74 in forum Outpatient Facilities
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-03-2010, 06:21 PM
  3. Bilateral procedures - Am new to ENT coding
    By crystalm in forum ENT/Otolaryngology
    Replies: 5