It doesn't state "WHO" is healthy to relate the statement to multiple family members. According to the 95 DGs:
"Family history (a review of medical events in the patient's family, including diseases which may be hereditary or place the patient at risk)".
My audit software (Intelicode) is even more specific as to say parents, siblings, etc.
If it is the sole determining factor for code selection I might allow it, but I would definitely counsel the provider to be more specific.
The goal in obtaining family history is to determine genetic predisposition to certain diseases. That statement just doesn't do that for me.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join