Use of modifier 57 help

Default Use of modifier 57 help
    Medical Coding Books
    Hello everyone:
    Question... Patient first visit to clinic, he has an ankle fracture (MCR patient) Dr decided to operate in two days. He performed a pre-operative exam on today visit. Should I append a mod 57 or not. Please help, thanks
    Mildred Nieves, CPC

I don't think you need to append a 57, because the surgery is planned to be done 2 days. Normally this modifier is used if the E/M visit is on the day of or the day before the surgery. The link below may be helpful.

http://wpsmedicare.com/part_b/education/modifier_57.pdf

Hope this helps.
    Alaina M. Boncher, CPC

Thank a lot Alaina for your help, is great to have this information in black and white. I just shared with the others coders, thanks again for your help.
    Mildred Nieves, CPC

4. Smile 57 modifier
    I have been informed that 57 modifiers will no longer be accepted with Medicare patients- for new patient status. According to this rule no 57modifier would be accepted on this claim. Hope with helps

Quote Originally Posted by MichelleM View Post
    I have been informed that 57 modifiers will no longer be accepted with Medicare patients- for new patient status. According to this rule no 57modifier would be accepted on this claim. Hope with helps
    Do you have a reference for this? The citation below is still located in Medicare's Manual.

CPT Modifier “-57” - Decision for Surgery Made Within Global Surgical Period

Carriers pay for an evaluation and management service on the day of or on the day before a procedure with a 90-day global surgical period if the physician uses CPT modifier “-57” to indicate that the service resulted in the decision to perform the procedure. Carriers may no pay for an evaluation and management service billed with the CPT modifier “-57” if it was provided on the day of or the day before a procedure with a 0 or 10-day global surgical period.

6. Default
    Do you have an updated link for this? This one is not working. Please and thank you for your help!!

Quote Originally Posted by pixeedustt@yahoo.com View Post
    Do you have an updated link for this? This one is not working. Please and thank you for your help!!
    I can provide the link for my reference...

4. Evaluation and Management Service Resulting in the Initial Decision to Perform Surgery

Page 96

http://www.cms.gov/manuals/downloads/clm104c12.pdf