Medicaid should recognize the V codes as they are an integralpart of the HIPPA mandated code set. The guidelines for ICD-9 which are also mandated instruct on the appropriate usage of the V codes. Coding Clinic 3rd q 2001 states that after initial injury and the initial treatment then it is no longer an acute fx and no longer appropriate to use those codes. It must be coded as a healing fx with the V code. It is entirely possible that the Medicaid in your area is considering fx a global event regardless of how it is billed and therefore will no consider follow up visits payable. I would not code these with acute fx codes, they are by definition healing.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join