AAPC - Back to school

Thread: C/s delivery elective by patient

Default C/s delivery elective by patient

AAPC: Back to School
    I have a pt. that came in for induction, then after being in the hospital she elected to have a c/section. The pt's reasoning was due to her last delivery of shoulder dystocia, the baby suffered nerve damage to 1 arm. So she requested the c/section so there was not a repeat delivery, and to insure that there was no damage to this baby. So I am looking for help on what dx code to use for the delivery. I am wondering about the code 669.71 which is c/section without mention of indication. Thanks for any help in advance.

Engelwood, CO

That's what I would use if patient did not have a previous c-section. You shouldn't have any problems getting the c-section paid with a 669.71. (Notice I said "shouldn't.")

Rebecca Hardin, CPC

Similar Threads

1. Elective C-Section
    By micheleb in forum Employment General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-01-2014, 10:05 AM
  2. Elective c-section
    By clss1380 in forum OB/GYN
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-13-2010, 01:25 PM
  3. Patient seen in Labor and Delivery Triage
    By Vanessa123 in forum OB/GYN