I'm going to take a stab at this.
According to the Faye Brown Coding Handbook:
"Patients are often referred to hospital ancillary services for preoperative evaluations that involve a variety of tests performed in various departments. Patients may also be referred for preoperative blood typing. In this situation, one of the following codes is assigned, with additional codes for the condition for which surgery is planned and for any findings related to the preoperative evaluation: "
Â§ V72.81**Preoperative cardiovascular examination
Â§ V72.82**Preoperative respiratory examination
Â§ V72.83**Other specified preoperative examination
Â§ V72.84**Preoperative examination, unspecified
Â§ V72.86**Encounter for blood typing
I suggest V72.83 for the preop, plus code for the condition for surgery and V64.2, Surgical or other procedure not carried out because of patient's decision.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join