AAPC - Back to school

Thread: DMV Physicals

Default DMV Physicals

AAPC: Back to School
    I have a question, for a DMV physical of an established patient including completion of form, would established patient codes (99213-99215) be appropriate. I realize insurance will not pay for this exam, however, for documentation purposes I would like to have the appropriate code.

Hello judyt - the way we bill out for DOT/DMV physicals at our clinic is this: We supply an age appropriate preventive code (99391-99397 set) with the V70.3 diagnosis. Most, if not all, insurances won't pay on this and payment responsibility gets shifted to the patient - but since this is a required physical that some patient's must receive, our docs have set the price lower than a standard physical as a courtesy. We currently run the service @ $110.00 - I feel that this is the most correct way to code, and seems like a fair price considering the circumstances.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by coder911; 07-18-2007 at 09:27 AM.
    Jason Steeprow, CPC

Similar Threads

1. Billing for DOT physicals & annual physicals
    By Awren in forum Billing/Reimbursement
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-17-2015, 09:07 AM
  2. physicals
    By TLC in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-12-2013, 06:45 PM
  3. Physicals
    By martyzal in forum Medical Coding General Discussion